Be a winner and think green this “MO” Vember!Submitted by Steven J Brown
What is Movember? Throughout the month of November men are encouraged to grow their moustaches to raise awareness and spark conversation for men's health issues, particularly prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health.
“Movember is an awareness campaign that infuses style (moustache fashion) and social awareness to start conversations on men's health – mainly prostate cancer. It is an opportunity to be cool while attending to one of the less (or taboo) spoken about topics.” Globally, stigma surrounds diseases that affect men, and often men don’t talk about such “embarrassing topics”. The underlying message is that if you chose to live well and follow a healthy lifestyle, and paid attention to your health and the warning signs, you could help to shape your future.
With that being said, you need to “think green” with your food & drink choices!
As a guideline from CANSA.org, why not follow some “green tips” below:
- Eat at least five portions, preferably seven, of fruit (in season) and non-starchy vegetables daily – choose a variety of fruit and vegetables of different colours for different nutrients
- Aim for three meals per day and snack in between meals on your favourite fruit or vegetable
- Make starchy foods that are high in roughage and whole-grains the basis of most meals
- Eat more fibre, e.g. fruit and vegetables with skins included and whole-grain foods (30 g daily) such as Bokomo Weet-Bix and Bokomo Oats (both CANSA Smart Choices) mealie pap, brown rice and sorghum
- Dry beans, soya beans and other legumes / lentils are high in fibre & isoflavones.
- Try to include them in meals 3 to 4 times per week.
- Choose Canola Margarine products (Blossom Canola Margarine is a CANSA Smart Choice), also with the best ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 and it is trans fat free.
- Drink plenty safe, clean water – drinking enough water not only keeps you hydrated, it also helps food move through the digestive system and carries nutrients to the cells
- Drink rooibos tea, which is rich in antioxidants, low in tannin and caffeine free. Try the Red Espresso Company’s red espresso® (rooibos espresso), a CANSA Smart Choice.
- Use Canola Oil with a high smoke point of 230 degrees Celsius in food preparation. It is rich in Omega-3 and has the best ratio (2:1) of Omega-6 to Omega-3. Nuts, avocado, vegetable fats / oils and olive oil are also recommended. B-Well Canola Oil & B-Well Extra Virgin Olive & Canola Oil are CANSA Smart Choice products.
- Prepare your food by baking or steaming
Now that you are armed with some information, you are a winner already! So, when you go out to eat, keep the above in mind as a guideline when you eat at one of Granada Square’s three restaurants, and stand a chance to win R500 off your bill!
Throughout the month of November, patrons who visit one of these eclectic mix of trendy restaurants, could be randomly selected by the restaurant to win R500 off their total bill.
Be it lunch or dinner, book your spot between Monday and Thursday and you could be in it to win it!
Now that we have you drooling to be a winner, here are the 3 restaurants you could choose from to dine at. Little Havana is a contemporary and stylish, award-winning steakhouse that offers fine dining. Should you crave more of an Italian cuisine, then Angelo’s restaurant, who has been in the business for over 26 years, is only a phone call away, so book your table today. If you are looking for a wide variety of very tasty foods based on the Mediterranean way of eating and enjoying life, then welcome to Mediterraneo!
Or if you prefer to eat healthy at home, then Woolworths at Granada Square can offer a variety of items you can load into your trolley to enjoy whipping up a healthy feast. They are open between 8am & 6pm.
Please note that due to social distancing, there is a limited amount of seating available in these restaurants so booking in advance is highly recommended and don’t forget your mask when shopping!
Please visit www.granadasquare.co.za and take note of the T’s & C’s.
Source: cansa.org.za & brandsouthafrica.com