What’s your ‘Home’ for the holidays?Submitted by Teresa Settas
A road trip or the bliss of home sweet home
Whether your home for the holidays is a scenic road trip, a cosy tent and caravan in the bush or the simple pleasures of rest and relaxation at your very own ‘home sweet home’, make sure you take care of these important safety checks and balances so that nothing comes between you and a well-deserved break.
Aon South Africa, a leading insurance brokerage offers some sage holiday advice to make your days jolly and your worries naught over the festive season:
Get your car ready for the road:
- Make sure your motor insurance is up to date and that the value of your vehicle is correct.
- Check that any trailers and cars you use on holiday are roadworthy and properly licensed.
- Get your car serviced and check tyre tread and inflation, windscreen wipers, oil and water. Make sure you have a functional spare wheel, jack, wheel spanner, safety triangle and jumper cables.
- Repair any cracks or chips in your windscreen.
- Make sure your tracking device is operational.
- Pay any outstanding traffic fines.
- Ensure your driver’s licence is valid and if you are travelling outside SA, check the territorial limits of your cover regarding cross-border requirements – some countries insist on license papers or proof of insurance.
- Car jamming - When exiting your car, physically check that your car doors are locked before walking away from the vehicle. Petrol stations are car jamming hot spots where criminals lurk to empty out your valuables while you nip into the quick shop.
Chilling at home:
- Be vigilant - keep an eye out for loiterers or unfamiliar people scanning the area. If anything seems out of place, notify your armed response to investigate.
- Activate your alarm - House robberies are a common occurrence and burglars really don’t need a lot of time to make off with your household contents and parked vehicles. What many policy holders don’t consider is that if your policy has what we call an ‘alarm warranty’ and you don’t arm it when the property is left unattended, you could find your claim rejected or the settlement dramatically reduced if you should be unfortunate enough to be burgled.
- Get involved - Join your local Whatsapp community group to keep a finger on the pulse of goings on in your suburb.
- Update your insurance policy – use the time to check that your insurance policy is updated with any new assets or building alterations done during the year, as well as any gifts and purchases. With our frenetic lifestyles, it’s easy to overlook the importance of keeping your cover relevant with your changing asset portfolio.
- Get Handy – it’s a perfect time to get those important home maintenance jobs done that you never have time for during the year. Remember that all homeowner’s insurance policies require that property owners maintain their homes in good condition and secondly that they take reasonable measures to prevent loss in the first place.
Make sure your holiday checks are done and your insurance policies are current and up to date so that the only thing you need to worry about this holiday is to rest, relax and refresh.