The decrease in robberies during strict lockdown restrictions, doesn’t mean you can stop prioritising the safety and security of your properties and people, especially as crime tends to increase over the festive season.
“When it comes to security, we should never be complacent. Even when there’s a decrease in crime stats,” said Jason Ravenscroft, a battery specialist, who understands standby power solutions. “People won’t always be at home or at their businesses to prevent robberies or burglaries from happening, which is why an extra layer of precaution is necessary, especially over the festive season,” he said.
Electric gates are not only an effective security measure, they're also convenient and reduce opportunities for criminals. "With the click of a remote or cellphone, people can safely enter and exit their properties, and not run the risk of being soft targets as they manually open and close their gates," Jason added.
Another benefit of electric gates is their versatility. Some have infrared beams that can alert security companies of loitering.
For these security features to function however, they need reliable, powerful, and high-performance batteries to ensure seamless functioning even during loadshedding or power outages.
How does a gate motor battery work?
The battery powers the motor when there’s no electricity—as a result of load shedding or power failure—ensuring you're not stranded outside or inside and fall prey to opportunistic criminals. The battery recharges when grid power is available, so it's ready for use the next time the power goes out.
Signs your battery may be giving in
Well-maintained gate motor batteries should last between two to three years. One of the first signs that the battery isn't running at its optimal level is when the gate starts to run slow (while using battery power). Another sign is when the gate doesn't completely open or close and gets stuck on the rails.
A voltage test will accurately inform you of a failing battery.
Three tips for preserving a gate motor battery
South Africa’s battery specialistssuggest the following maintenance tips,
- Regular battery checks. At least twice a year.
- Ensure the terminals are clean and free of build-up and dirt to prevent power flow interruption.
- Terminals are connected correctly.
There are many reliable and excellent quality batteries available for gate motors, some of which require minimal maintenance, have a long life, and are ideal for enhancing your security system. To find the best battery for your needs, search for a specialist here. For more information visit batterycentre.co.za
-- ENDS --
ISSUED ON BEHALF OF BATTERY CENTRE BY G&GDIGITAL.
Battery Centre is an iconic brand with a rich history of more than 50 years. Expert advice and specialist fitment of car, leisure, motorcycle, start-stop, truck batteries and standby solutions, Battery Centre is known as South Africa’s leading battery specialists. They offer nationwide warranties on their products at more than 150 Battery Centre franchises nationwide.
- The Conversation. Crime statistics show South Africa's lockdown 'crime holiday' is over. https://theconversation.com/crime-statistics-show-south-africas-lockdown-crime-holiday-is-over-166785. Accessed on 19 October 2021.
- Centurion. Why Automate? The Benefits of Gate Automation. https://www.centsys.co.za/why-automate-the-benefits-of-gate-automation/. Accessed on 15 October 2021.
- Battery Power Zone. Gate Motor Batteries. https://www.batterypowerzone.co.za/blog/gate-motor-batteries. Accessed on 14 October 2021.
- Mr Gate Mr Garage. Maintaining Gate Motor Battery. https://www.mrgatemrgarage.co.za/maintaining-gate-motor-battery/. Accessed on 14 October 2021.
- Gates. 6 Reasons your Electric Gate is Slow. https://www.gates.co.za/Safety-Tips.php. Accessed on 14 October 2021.
- JD Gates. When should I replace my battery? https://www.jdgates.co.za/backup-batteries.html. Accessed on 14 October 2021.