With the Olympics and Paralympics fresh in South Africa’s consciousness, the likes of medallists Tatjana Schoenmaker, Bianca Buitendag and Paralympian Anrune Weyers are riding the wave of their success as national heroes. Beyond their incredible skill, these athletes are often in the limelight, and must look their best in front of the cameras. Professional make-up brand Kryolan – make-up sponsor to some of SA’s top Olympic women – shares a few tips on how athletes and other active women can stay looking their best, even when they’re in action.
The camera test
When applying make-up, it’s always a good idea to see how you look on camera. Just taking a quick snap on your cell phone can help you spot any flashback or greyness that the naked eye may not immediately see.
Professional make-up brands are generally made to beat the shine and show up well under harsh light or through the eye of a lens. And the camera rarely lies. Try this test to see if you need any extra touching up.
Avoid the allergies
Everybody’s skin is different. And some skin types are more sensitive than others. Look for hypoallergenic products that won’t inflame or hurt your skin. Some commercial products are certified by ECARF (European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation) to be suitable on even the most sensitive and reactive skins. These types of products can be best for sensitive skins, especially for women with active lifestyles.
It’s also important to read the packaging and do your research. Look for products that have been dermatologically tested and approved for maximum skin compatibility, and to avoid unsightly breakouts or blemishes.
Durability for the win
Quality waterproof products can withstand submersion in water, high temperatures and heavy sweating. These ensure that you’ll still look fresh after a swim or heavy workout.
Before lipstick, eyeshadow or anything else is applied, always make sure your skin tone and texture gets the best possible treatment.
Here are a few tips to maintain that all-important foundation:
- Drink loads of water – hydrated skin always looks better.
- Take good care of your skin – good make-up can’t fix bad skin. Use nourishing skin care products with tested and nourishing ingredients to ensure the skin remains hydrated, supple and cared for.
- Allow your moisturiser to settle and absorb into the skin for a few minutes before proceeding with make-up.
- Use a hydrating primer to ensure your make-up does not look dry or cakey.
- Use lightweight foundations with a water-base to assist with hydration during the drier months. During hotter months, a light application will ensure you don’t feel heavy or congested. Remember – set your foundation to ensure it doesn’t “melt” off the skin.
- Use foundations that are self-setting to avoid having to use powder to set – extra layers have a heavier feel on the skin.
- Use a setting spray for additional durability/longevity during the hotter summer months.
- Exfoliate twice a week to ensure your skin does not look devitalised or flaky.
- Blusher should always match your lip colour and the shades on the eyes to ensure colour continuity.
- Blusher should not extend closer than two fingers from the corner of the nose, and one finger from the outer corner of the eye (this will affect the overall face shape/appearance).
- Apply blusher in a C shape, from the apples of the cheeks, blending up towards the temple for a natural, blushed look.
- Foundations should be applied with a brush to ensure minimal wastage. Application can then be blended out with a sponge to ensure no streaks or patches are visible.
- For personal use, be sure to wash your brushes at least once a week to ensure bacteria is cleaned off and tools are sanitised. This will maintain clean, uncontaminated make-up products and ensure fewer breakouts from dirty applicators.
Are you ready for your close-up?
With summer just around the corner, you can stay active and enhance your natural beauty with minimal fuss. No matter how active you are, looking good can still come naturally with products that are suited to your skin, tried, tested and safe to apply. Choosing the right professional make-up brand and not settling for half measures or the “cheapest” option is always a good start.
-- ENDS --
Issued By: The Lime Envelope
On Behalf Of: Kryolan South Africa
For Media Information: Bronwyn Levy
Telephone: 011 467-9233/076 078 1723
Kryolan is a professional make-up brand that was founded in post-war Berlin in 1945 by Arnold Langer, who had a passion for theatre and science. Since then, Kryolan’s collection has grown to include over 16000 products, catering to a wide range of faculties within the make-up industry. Kryolan’s six fields of competence are TV & film, fashion, body art, theatre, SFX and consumer.
For more information on Kryolan, visit https://za.kryolan.com or contact +27 11 786 8598 or +27 11 786 8521.