Every mineworker returning from work unharmed every day
JOHANNESBURG – (29 May 2015) – The annual MineSAFE Conference takes place this year from 26 to 28 August 2015 at Emperors Palace, Johannesburg. Aimed at bringing the South African mining industry to ‘zero harm’, the Conference has firmly established itself as a premier event on the mining industry calendar, drawing delegates and speakers from across the industry.
The conference represents a joint effort between the Association of Mine Managers of South Africa (AMMSA), the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM) and the South African Colliery Managers Association (SACMA) with valued input from the Department of Mineral Resources, the South African Chamber of Mines, the Mine Metallurgical Managers Association, the Mine Health and Safety Council, the National Union of Mineworkers, Solidarity and UASA – The Union.
The MineSAFE Conference has quickly established itself as an important part of the South African Mining Industry calendar. Here are the top five reasons why:
- Every mineworker returning from work unharmed every day The main focus of the MineSAFE Conference is the industry goal of ‘zero harm’, and in support of the recently introduced 2020 Health and Safety Milestones, this year’s conference has adopted its mission statement – every mineworker returning from work unharmed every day. The MineSAFE Conference is unique in that it takes a holistic view of ‘zero harm’, going beyond traditional safety topics to include health and employee wellness, environmental issues and management, community well-being and culture transformation issues.
- A unique tripartite approach A key feature of the MineSAFE Conference is that it is one of the only South African mining conferences to fully embrace a tripartite approach. The organising committee is made up of representatives from industry, Government and employee representative organisations and companies are actively encouraged to ensure that both management and employee representatives attend the Conference. This tripartite representation is also reflected in the Conference Programme which features presentations from industry, labour and Government. Delegates have the rare opportunity to get input from all affected parties on how to move the South African mining industry to ‘zero harm’.
- Leading Practices from across the industry The Conference offers only the highest quality technical papers and presentations that provide expert information and guidance on the implementation of the health, safety and environmental initiatives aimed at bringing about ‘zero harm’. A panel of experts scrutinizes all submitted papers to ensure its technical quality and relevance to the aims and objectives of the Conference. Each year, a concerted effort is made by Conference organisers to ensure that papers presented are engaging and innovative and, consequently, attendance has grown year on year.
- Excellent marketing opportunity for sponsors and exhibitors The MineSAFE Conference offers an exceptional opportunity for stakeholders and suppliers to network with decision-makers in industry, labour organisations and Government. There is a range of sponsorship packages available that offer extensive branding opportunities and conference benefits. Sponsorship application forms are available from the SAIMM website (www.saimm.co.za) and the official MineSAFE Conference website (www.minesafe.co.za)
- Recognition of Zero Harm Success The two-day Technical Conference leads into the Industry Awards Day during which several awards are handed out to those companies that have achieved significant success and improvement during the past year. The day also features the coveted International JT Ryan Award that is handed to the Best of the Best in industry-leading health, safety and environmental programmes.
Since its inception in 2009, the MineSAFE Conference has continued to grow, adding additional papers and topics to its programme. Initially aimed at primarily hard rock mining, the Conference has expanded to include all areas of mining, including the coal mining industry and, more recently, the metallurgical division. Because of its focus on quality technical papers that offer practical solutions aligned to current issues and legislation, the Conference has been able to secure high level speakers and presenters from across the globe.
For additional media material, including images, videos and fact sheets, please visit www.newsrelease.minesafe.co.za.
Raymond van den Berg
Tel: 011 834 1273/7